- WELCOME MESSAGE, COURSE OVERVIEW AND SUMMARY
Welcome to the Primary School Teaching (PST) course.
My name is Ahmed Abdullahi. I am the leader of this Primary Teaching Course.
I wish to welcome you to the Primary School Teaching Course (PST). This course is designed to enhance your skills to levels that enable you plan, manage and implement the teaching-learning process.
This course is expected to run for 10 weeks. We shall have 9 weeks of active instruction and one week of assessment.
In this course, you will be learning; General philosophy of Education, Foundations of Education, Educational psychology, Special needs of Education, Educational measurement and evaluation, Introduction of educational technology, Teaching Methodology, Educational management and administration and finally, Curriculum studies and instruction.
At the end of this course, you are expected to have enhanced;
1. Your subject content and pedagogical knowledge, skills and attitudes.
2. Your ability to handle subject areas taught in primary schools,
3. Your creativity and capability of discovering, understanding, controlling and adapting to new technologies.
4. Your ability to develop the child’s ability in creative thinking, problem solving and communication skills.
5. Your awareness, understanding and commitment to professional ethics, basic human rights and sound environmental.
6. Your capacity to produce and use relevant learning materials and enhance a teacher’s leadership and managerial skills.
Kindly watch this brief introductory video to provide you with further details on the structure of the course.
We wish you fruitful weeks ahead.
- SKILLS DEVELOPMENT AND PREPARATORY COURSESIn the first week of this course, you will offer some short modules for skills development and preparation. This includes short courses on Life Skills, Introducing Peace and Conflict Resolution, Basics in Health, Hygiene and COVID-19 prevention, and community resilience. These preparatory courses were made to give you an introduction into the essentials of life skills to help you forward in your life and your job. In Life Skills, you will learn to think about who you are and where you want to go, and what skills you will need to develop in order to get there. In introduction to Peace and Conflict Resolution, you will do exercises with your fellow students in order to learn about conflict, how to recognize and respond to conflict, and how to mediate it. In the Basics of Health, Hygiene and COVID-19, you will be introduced to health principles that are important for you and your community. In community resilience, you will learn to recognize how experiences you have may have impacted or continue to impact you, and how you can deal with this, so that you can fully concentrate on your professional career. Please enjoy these introductory courses in your first week, and continue to work with and reflect on this first week as you move through the full course.
- Study Unit 1: General Philosophy of Education
Philosophy of education refers to the examination of the goals, forms, methods, and meaning of education. It is the fundamental philosophical analysis of these themes and analysis of practical pedagogical approaches.
This study unit covers the objectives of education; the scope and functions of philosophy; and various philosophical schools of thought.
- Study Unit 2: Foundation of Education
The Latin terms "Educare," "Educere," and "Educatum" were used to coin the phrase "education." The word "educare" implies "to raise, bring up, or nourish." It means that the child should be raised or fed with particular goals and objectives in mind. In this way, education, via its process, brings out the best in a child.” The term "educum" refers to the act of instructing or training.
This study unit is designed to introduce you to the concept of education; forms of education; history of education; and the importance of the history of education to you as a teacher
- Study Unit 3: Introduction to Educational Psychology
Psychology is the science of the mind and behavior. The word "psychology" comes from the Greek word psyche meaning "breath, spirit, soul", and the Greek word logia meaning the study of something. According to Med lexicon’s medical dictionary, psychology is "The profession (clinical psychology), scholarly discipline (academic psychology), and science (research psychology) concerned with the behavior of humans and animals, and related mental and physiologic processes." Although psychology may also include the study of the mind and behavior of animals, in this article psychology refers to humans
In this study unit, a complete guide on overview of Educational Psychology will be discussed
- Study Unit 4: Special Needs Education
Persons with special needs are found in all societies of the world. Within and outside our different institutions of learning we find learners with special needs that require unique responses to their education.
In this study unit, you will be introduced to the fundamentals of special needs education that will enable you to obtain key knowledge about the concept of inclusive education.
- Study Unit 5: Educational Measurements And Evaluation
In a teaching-learning environment, there is a constant need to gauge the outcomes or the quality of responsiveness of the teaching and learning process. Education is effective when students improve over time. Without measurement and evaluation, it is impossible to know whether students are making any progress. Tests and assignments can tell teachers which students know the material, which students are trying to learn and which students are not trying at all. Thus, the concepts of test, measurement, and evaluation is a very important aspect of Education.
- Study Unit 6: Introduction to Educational Technology
The fundamental aim of education is to produce learners who are motivated and effective, increasingly responsible for their own learning, able to make full use of the new technologies and who will be able to learn and apply new skills effectively throughout their lives, whether in school, the workplace.
- Study Unit 7: Teaching Methodology
The difference between effective teaching practice and the ineffective οne, is determined by the teaching methοdοlοgies chοsen by the teacher. This unit intrοduces yοu tο pedagοgies that are key in the teaching learning prοcess. The unit explοres aspects ranging frοm learner, teacher, tο mixed teaching and learning strategies
- Study Unit 9: Curriculum Studies and Instructions
Preparing learners for an internationally interdependent, complex and interactive world by offering a specific curriculum in a specific context, is a critical responsibility of all education stakeholders. Besides their role in curriculum design and development, teachers are charged with fostering the development of critical, creative and conceptually receptive minds in learners, while still teaching the required content.
This session introduces you to some critical concepts of curriculum and instruction that will enhance your general understanding of curriculum in typical education settings.
- Study Unit 8: Education Management and Administration
The relevance of education cannot be overemphasized. It should be noted however that without proper management and Administration, education cannot realize its noble objectives and goals.In this unit, you will be introduced to various fundamentals that are critical in the effective management and administration of education