- WELCOME MESSAGE, COURSE OVERVIEW AND SUMMARY
Welcome to the Peace Building and Conflict Resolution Diplomacy.
On behalf of the lead of this course, I wish to welcome you to the Peace Building and Conflict Resolution Diplomacy.
This course introduces a conceptual framework of conflict in daily life and the interrelation between conflict, violence, and peace. It introduces the peacebuilding multidimensions concept, peacebuilding approaches, and strategies. It describes the different interventions in conflict. Also, it equips the learners with the needed skills in peacebuilding and conflict resolution and the modern and indigenous mechanisms of conflict resolution
This course is expected to run for 12 weeks. We shall have 11 weeks of active instruction and one week of assessment.
In this course, you will be learning; A conceptual framework on peace &conflict, Understanding peacebuilding, Conflict analysis, Diplomacy, peacebuilding & conflict resolution, Peacebuilding approaches & strategies, and finally, Peacebuilding & Conflict Resolution in the African context; experiences & Challenges.
At the end of this course, you are expected to have enhanced;
1. A conceptual framework for peace & conflict
2. Understanding peacebuilding
3. Conflict analysis, Conflict analysis
4. Diplomacy, peacebuilding& conflict resolution
5. Peacebuilding approaches & strategies
6. Peacebuilding & Conflict resolution in the African context; experiences & challenges.
- SKILLS DEVELOPMENT AND PREPARATORY COURSES
In the first week of this course, you will offer some short modules for skills development and preparation. This includes short courses on Life Skills, Introducing Basics in Health, Hygiene and COVID-19 prevention, community resilience, and Sexual and Reproductive health. These preparatory courses were made to give you an introduction to the essentials of life skills to help you forward in your life and your job.
In Life Skills, you will learn to think about who you are and where you want to go, and what skills you will need to develop in order to get there. In the Basics of Health, Hygiene and COVID-19, you will be introduced to health principles that are important for you and your community. In community resilience, you will learn to recognize how experiences you have may have impacted or continue to impact you, and how you can deal with this, so that you can fully concentrate on your professional career. In Sexual and Reproductive Health, you will learn the components of sexual and reproductive health, attributes of youth-friendly services, sexual and reproductive health problems, and ways to maintain positive sexual and reproductive health in youths
Please enjoy these introductory courses in your first week, and continue to work with and reflect on this first week as you move through the full course
- Module 1: A Conceptual Framework for Peace and Conflict
- Module 2: Understanding Peace Building
Peacebuilding is any effort different parties take to re-establish peace. All parties involved in the dispute carry out these efforts with one objective, which is to transform conflict and restore peace. There are various ways in which this process can happen. Also, there are enormous efforts that are taken by different actors to build peace.
This module will introduce you to the concept of peacebuilding as well as what does the actual process of peacebuilding.
- Module 3: Understanding Conflict Analysis
Each conflict has its own imprint and unique mark, which makes it special. Nonetheless, scholars define conflict as two or more individuals or groups having different perspectives, sharing the same desire, or competing for resources. Not to forget to dig deep into sharing history, root causes, actors, and effects. It is very vital to identify the conflict drivers in certain situations. In aiming to reach a tangible peacebuilding strategy, one must work with a suitable conflict analysis tool to overcome challenges that may occur. A wide spectrum of peace agreement crafts proved that not tackling the root causes, actors, and conflict characters led to the blocked roads. This is why focusing on conflict analysis generates positive peace and does no harm to the grassroots.
This module aims to cover an understanding of conflict nature and provide tools to analyze conflicts.
- Module 4: Peace Building and Conflict Resolution (PBCR)
Conflict is an inevitable part of life. Therefore, learning how to deal with and live with it is very crucial. In this module, you will learn about conflict resolution and peacebuilding.
The module is organized into four units.
- Unit one discussed basic terminologies such as intervention, prevention, management, resolution, and transformation and also steps and approaches of conflict resolution with the objective of enabling students to understand their similarities and differences and then appreciate the role of conflict intervener.
- Unit two discussed various conflict resolution mechanisms (formal and informal) and African perspectives and experiences on conflict resolution with the objective of enabling students to recognize and identify the differences among them, their merits, and challenges in the African context.
- Unit three discussed the notion of conflict sensitivity approach in conflict resolution process and essential skills for effective conflict resolution with the objective of enabling students to understand the meaning and advantage of conflict sensitivity and also acquired essential skills for effective conflict resolution.
- Unit four discussed the meaning, elements, principles, and challenges of peace-building diplomacy with the objective of enabling students to gain the necessary knowledge and skills for being effective peacebuilding diplomats.
- Module 5: Peace Building Approaches and Strategies This study unit takes you through critical peace building approaches, general and sector specific strategies as well as highlight of stakeholders in peace building initiatives. Peace building approaches and strategies are critical elements of promoting sustainable peace. Emphasis is on steps and practical strategies of peace building, Sector specific strategies such as human rights, human security and peace building, democracy and peace building, development and peace building, gender and peace building, resolution 1325 - responsive peace building, resolution 2250 on youth and peace building and finally stakeholders in peace building
- Module 6: Peace Building and Conflict Resolution in African Context
This study unit introduces the conflict and peacebuilding in African context and importance of knowing all its dimensions and its impact on building sustainable peace, and Africa’s development. Also, it provides information about the African Institution and its efforts in resolving conflicts and building peace. By the end of this module, you will understand the dynamics, factors, and approaches which are important to be taken into consideration when intervening or working in peace building in the Africa